Sunday, 25 September 2011

LIFE OVERSEAS : Make Dreams A Reality


AUDREY CHEW ERNERN is all ready to roll up her sleeves and work towards her goals
IN my previous article on Sept 11, I wrote about the Scariff Harbour Festival which took place recently near my home in Ireland.

I experienced many new sights and sounds at the event.

As I sat, drinking coffee and eating Iranian delicacies, I heard a tune in the air.
It was an unusual arrangement of notes that sounded both mystical and magical.

I looked around in search of the source and saw an olive-skinned man deftly playing a wooden instrument which looked similar to a flute or a clarinet.

Behind him were many varieties of woodwind instrument in different shades and with carvings.

Some even had 10 wooden pipes joined together, each holding its own note when blown.

The musician did not just sound the part, he looked it as well.

It was as if he had jumped out of the Disney movie, Pocahontas.

He wore a tribal headband made of beads strapped around his forehead, and a cloth with native designs and strips of tanned buckskin was wrapped around his waist.

His poker face took the cake.

Despite his native look, he had the savvy to wear a headset and install amplifiers so that his music was heard from a kilometre away.

He succeeded in his mission to draw the crowd; I took to him like a moth to a flame.

Instruments that he used in his transcendent performance earlier were on sale to the public, all at affordable prices too.

Hanging above my head were little wooden sticks held together by a cobweb pattern of beads.

Dangling from the contraption were strings of beads with beautiful feathers giving the art piece a majestic finish. I wondered what this extraordinary object was.

It is called a dreamcatcher.

Traditionally hung above a bed, it is believed to have the power to catch nightmares to ensure you have a good night’s rest.

Bad dreams are trapped in the net while good ones pass through it and slide down the feathers to the sleeper.

Today it is commonly used as an ornament due to its intricate design.
Everyone — whether asleep or awake — has dreams.

It may be something as small as learning to make the best iced beverage or as big as getting a string of distinctions on a certificate.

But where dreams are present, so too is fear of failure and doubt.

When I was little, I used to get nightmares for weeks. The same dream haunted me every night, leaving me terrified to bits.
If only there is a life-sized dreamcatcher to ensure life is forever a sweet dream.

But what is most important is what we do with the dream.

Do we just dream it, talk about it, hope for it but never see it come to pass?
Or do we work hard to turn it into reality?

It is common to be surrounded by negativity and the first step to achieve any personal goal is to stop fantasising.

We may moan and groan but without obstacles, life can be dull.

The time to be our own life-sized dreamcatcher is now and when I finally fulfil my dream, I can look back and say it was all worthwhile.

The writer is studying at a high school in Ireland. She loves to try all things but is a Malaysian at heart. Email her at audreychew94@hotmail.com


Read more: LIFE OVERSEAS: Make dreams a reality http://www.nst.com.my/nst/articles/LIFEOVERSEAS_Makedreamsareality/Article#ixzz1Z0Gkeyeu

No comments: