Tuesday, 24 April 2012

LIFE OVERSEAS: Ward-ing off the trivial


DO you have an idol? A famous singer, actor or artiste perhaps?
Mainstream music does not generally appeal to me. The music on the radio and television does not exactly catch my fancy. I would rather opt for raw talent on YouTube with videos recorded in home basements for the love of music. So most of the artistes I adore are not household names.
Take Tyler Ward — a regular guy in the United States who decided to make a career for himself in music. His original songs and covers are amazing.
I had discovered on the Internet that he was touring Europe and Dublin, Ireland was one of his pit stops. To my surprise, I received two tickets to his concert as a birthday gift.
A three-hour bus ride to Dublin did not deter me from witnessing Ward in action. I was startled at the size of the venue upon arrival. It was a room fit for a small gig, with the stage less than a metre from the audience. It was the size of a big classroom. I had expected an enormous hall with glowing LED lights.
Initially, disappointment set in until I realised that I would be 1m away from Ward. The room had a homey ambience and I did not feel packed in like sardines. It made me feel as if I knew Ward personally.
I had thought I was a diehard fan, I was wrong. In the centre of the front row was probably Ward's biggest supporter. She was in a wheelchair, beaming with anticipation.
I considered the challenges she had faced to attend the concert. Firstly, she could easily be injured. The atmosphere in a concert would be rambunctious, possibly rowdy. Not exactly the most ideal place to be if you are in a wheelchair.
Secondly, if she did not manage to get to the front row, she would not be able to catch a glimpse of the artiste.
Thirdly, moving around would be difficult as there would be people swarming all over the place. I was amazed at her desire to be at the concert despite her physical disability. She was inspirational.
Her efforts were rewarded by Ward himself. He left the stage, headed in her direction, gave her a hug and a kiss on the cheek. I can only imagine what she felt at that moment. The scene was one of the most memorable moments from the concert.
Many of us are blessed but we do not realise or appreciate it. We take things for granted. We grumble about the trivial things in life. Some complain but never make any effort in overcoming the situation.
This girl, who had all the odds stacked against her, persevered and emerged triumphant.
When was the last time you conquered your life challenges?

The writer is studying at a high school in Ireland. She loves to try all things but is a Malaysian at heart.


Read more: LIFE OVERSEAS: Ward-ing off the trivial - You - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/channels/you/life-overseas-ward-ing-off-the-trivial-1.76310#ixzz1sywJODmd

No comments: