Tuesday, 4 December 2012

LIFE OVERSEAS: 11 hours of movie frenzy


PRECIOUS MEMORIES: The writer and friends attend the Twilight series movie marathon on a school night

IT was a Thursday like no other. Actually, it began like a regular Thursday. I got out of bed unwillingly and dragged myself to school. Classes started as normal and students were chatting among themselves.
Suddenly, my classmate and good friend Anna Marie Bourke said that Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2 would be screened in cinemas the next day. I responded excitedly, saying I wished I was at the grand opening of the much awaited movie.
Then, I had a light bulb moment as I vaguely remembered an Internet site advertising the entire Twilight saga in cinemas several weeks ago. Tickets were 15 euros (RM60) per person to watch all the five movies — Twilight, New Moon, Eclipse, Breaking Dawn Part 1 and Part 2.
We were over the moon when our mothers allowed us to attend the movie marathon on a school night. We arrived at the biggest hall in Odeon Cinemas with wide grins and bars of chocolate, bags of sweets, ice-cold fizzy drinks and loads of titbits to last the day. 
A programme of the advertisement-free marathon listed 15-minute intervals between each movie. The audience would be treated to a five-minute behind-the-scenes clip before each film.
The hall was not overcrowded and we made ourselves comfortable, with empty seats around us.
Many people think the first part of the saga, Twilight, is a waste of time compared to the rest of the series. But I had found it interesting when I was younger at 14.
When I was at SMK SS17 Subang Jaya a few years ago, several girls would read the books during recess or a free period. I used to swap books instead of buy the set to save money. We even had favourite quotes from the books such as “The lion fell in love with the lamb. What a stupid lamb. What a sick, masochistic lion”.
Maybe I would not read the books now that I am 18.
After the fourth movie in the marathon, Breaking Dawn Part 1, we boosted our energy by eating more sugary foods.
After a quick bite at a nearby McDonald’s, we returned to the cinema for the countdown to the final movie. The audience chanted: “Ten, nine, eight, seven, six, five, four, three, two, one ... Action!”
My favourite is the last movie because it was directed by the author Stephanie Meyer. The twist at the end is intriguing and different from the book.
It was an amazingly crazy night filled with precious memories.

The writer is studying at a high school in Ireland. She loves to try all things but is a Malaysian at heart


Read more: LIFE OVERSEAS: 11 hours of movie frenzy - You - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/channels/you/life-overseas-11-hours-of-movie-frenzy-1.179655#ixzz2E7E6Gsj4


No comments: